Begin your English Teaching Career!
FIND OUT ABOUT OUR EXCELLENT MONTHLY PRICING AND SPECIALS! ENQUIRE NOW
FIND OUT ABOUT OUR EXCELLENT MONTHLY PRICING AND SPECIALS! ENQUIRE NOW
Course Code: 40649SA
(for Course Units click here)
Course Name: Certificate IV in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Language (TESOL)
Course Duration: Up to 12 Months (Self-Paced)
Delivery Method: Online Learning via Inspire Education (RTO# 32067)
Career Pathways: Teach English in Australia, Teach English Internationally
The Certificate IV in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Language (TESOL40649SA) is non-current and new enrollments to this course are no longer being accepted. Sign up with us to get updates on TESOL courses.
Certificate IV in TESOL Course Outcomes
The Certificate IV in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages will help you develop essential skills to teach English to non-English speakers within Australia and overseas!
Your Certificate IV in TESOL course will take you through a range of core skills such as; designing and delivering ESL programs, designing and developing ESL learning frameworks, lesson planning, basic grammatical concepts and traditional meta language, and basic terminology of traditional grammar. During the course you will complete at least 6 hours of practical teaching as you deliver instruction to a minimum of 4 ESL (English as a Second Language) students, allowing you to develop your hands-on experience in the classroom.
Whether you wish to teach English abroad or enhance your teaching portfolio within Australia, the Certificate IV in TESOL will assist you to reach your personal and professional goals!
Certificate IV in TESOL Course Pathways
Before Studying the Certificate IV in TESOL
Though there are no prerequisite units, the Certificate IV in TESOL is ideal if you already hold a bachelor degree in any area (3 year full-time program or equivalent) and is a great option for qualified teachers seeking to develop additional skills and open up career paths in TESOL. You can also use this course to develop your skills if you have already completed a Certificate III in TESOL or other shorter English language teaching qualification.
After Studying the Certificate IV in TESOL
Completing your Certificate IV In TESOL enables you to continue your education with qualifications like the Diploma of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.
You can complement your Certificate IV in TESOL training with additional qualifications such as:
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment – a requirement to teach in TAFEs and you can also become a Certificate IV in TESOL trainer.
- Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care – to work in child care centres with children.
- Certificate III in Education Support – to provide educational support services in schools.
People with NO other qualifications or experience:
You will be able to pursue roles, such as:
- Teaching conversational English in Australian language schools
- Teaching conversational English overseas (or in other institutions not governed by Australian standards)
- Providing overseas students with individual tuition or small group tutorials
- Teaching English to students visiting Australia on short-term study tours
- Helping migrants develop General English skills (in a supervised and limited capacity)
People WITH other qualifications and experience:
- Teaching conversational English overseas in a wider range of countries
- Teaching in National ELT Accrediation Scheme (NEAS) accredited training centres.
Certificate IV in TESOL Training Structure
The Certificate IV TESOL (40649SA) is a nationally accredited and internationally recognised Australian English teaching qualification made up of 5 core units.
|AABBH||Design and deliver an ESL teaching program|
|AABBK||Design and develop an ESL learning framework|
|AABBM||Plan an integrated lesson using communicative language teaching methodology|
|AABBL||Identify and use basic grammatical concepts and traditional meta language|
|AABBG||Demonstrate understanding of the basic terminology of traditional grammar|
These course units have been “clustered” so competencies are assessed just once, instead of making you demonstrate them multiple times in different units. As a result, the 5 course units are combined into just 3 workbooks – Knowledge, Design and Delivery. This approach has been found to deliver a more ‘holistic’ learning experience and reduces your overall workload so you can gain an understanding of the content faster.
This TESOL course is assessed through written questioning, gathering documents, observation and other written activities.
It is expected to take around 620 hours to complete all the requirements for this qualification.
There are no prerequisite qualifications required to enrol in the 40649SA Certificate IV in TESOL.
It is required that you, whether native or non-native speakers of English, demonstrate an acceptable level of English language competence in order to undertake the course. This requirement includes both written and spoken English.
In order to enrol, you must be 18 years or older and:
- Have evidence of year 12 English equivalent or greater qualification (including language-rich subjects) OR
- Have a minimum score of (academic) International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.5 in all macro skills. The IELTS tests should be no more than 12 months old OR
- Have an IELTS equivalent minimum score of 6.5 in all macro skills OR
- Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) at or around level 4 across learning, reading, writing, and oral communication core skills
Pre-interview language tasks and an interview will be conducted to determine applicants’ entry into this course.
Support and Resources
The Certificate IV in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages 40649SA is delivered through online learning by Inspire Education (RTO #32067). Throughout your training, Inspire Education will provide you with the support of experienced TESOL trainers plus a range of excellent resources and learning materials to help you gain your TESOL qualification.
To support you in your studies Inspire will provide:
- Online Course Materials and Multimedia Resources
- Online Forums and Student Community
- Course Webinars
- Ongoing Trainer Support via Phone and Student Messaging System
You will need to make sure you have access to:
- A Computer (PC or Mac)
- Internet (ADSL 2+ and Google Chrome is recommended)
- Latest Adobe Flash Player
- Latest Adobe Acrobat Reader (Essential for Mac Users)
- Microsoft Word and Powerpoint 97 or later
- At least 4 students who are ESL learners
- Video recording equipment (eg mobile phone) OR an observer with industry qualification (TESOL, CELTA, TEFL etc) to complete practical delivery assessments
Ambition Training Institute is responsible for the quality of training and assessment provided and for the issuing of all qualifications and statements of attainment. Any changes to the arrangements will be communicated to students.
Recognition of Prior Learning
If you have relevant work experience or have completed relevant training in the past, you can apply for recognition of prior learning (RPL). The RPL process begins after enrolment – simply indicate you’d like to apply for RPL on your enrolment form and a trainer will send you an RPL kit and discuss your RPL opportunities. To receive RPL, you will need to provide up to date evidence of the competencies required for this qualification.
For policies on refunds, extensions, other fees, complaints, appeals, replacement certificates or statements of attainment, please see the Ambition Training Institute Student Handbook.
Be 18 years or older.